Run For Office
City Council Vacancies
The next General Municipal Election will be held on November 6, 2018. The election will be for the Mayor (at-large) and for three (3) Council Member seats voted by-district (Districts 2, 3 & 6).
Interactive District Map. Search for your Council District by address.
Interested in Running for City Council - Process Map
- A citizen of the United States
- At least 18 years of age
- Mayor: A resident and qualified elector of the City of Anaheim, at least 30 days immediately preceding the filing of nomination papers
- Council Member: A resident and qualified elector of the respective district, at least 30 days immediately preceding the filing of nomination papers
Nomination ProcessThe nomination period opens on Monday, July 16, 2018 at 8 A.M. and closes on Friday, August 10, 2018 at 5 P.M. If an incumbent who is eligible to run does not file, the deadline will be extended to Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 5 P.M.
Nomination papers can only be obtained from the Office of the City Clerk. There is no fee to receive nomination papers and candidate information. A $25 fee applies upon the filing of the nomination paper. (AMC 1.12.090)
Although appointments to receive and/or file nomination papers are not required, appointments are encouraged; candidates with appointments will be assisted first. To schedule an appointment, please call (714) 765-5166.
Each candidate is required to receive no less than twenty (20) and no more than thirty (30) signatures of Anaheim registered voters. A candidate with less than 20 verified signatures will be disqualified, unless supplemental signatures are received and filed prior to the close of the nomination period. The nomination form will be provided to each candidate during the nomination period.
In addition to the original nomination form, the following original documents shall be filed with the City Clerk, at the same time (all related filing information can accessed through the Candidate Handbook):
- $25 nonrefundable filing fee, payable to the City of Anaheim
- Candidate Statement with payment (optional) - 200 word maximum. In addition to the written form, a candidate’s statement must be submitted to the City Clerk on a USB flash drive, which will be provided to you.
- Form 700, Statement of Economic Interest
- Ballot Designation Worksheet (optional) - If a ballot designation will be submitted, the Secretary of State ballot designation worksheet is required.
- Biographical Information Form (optional)
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices Form (optional)
- Statement of Responsibility for Temporary Political Signs
(copy, original to Department of Transportation)
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact City Clerk, Linda Andal
at (714) 765-5166.