Groundwater Treatment Program

Treatment Vessels

The City of Anaheim (Anaheim) operates 19 groundwater wells to meet approximately 77 percent of the City’s water demand. The remaining 23 percent is served with imported water from Metropolitan Water District (MWD). However, due to new State guidelines regarding the presence of PFAS (a recently discovered contaminant) in the existing groundwater, much of the groundwater is not available for distribution to customers.  Anaheim, as many of the other water agencies in Orange County, has turned its wells off effected by PFAS and is serving purchased water from MWD.

A new Groundwater Treatment Program will implement systems that will allow Anaheim to remove PFAS to acceptable State mandated levels from the groundwater.  This program will help keep long-term costs low for our customers while also providing high quality drinking water for Anaheim.

If you would like more information on PFAS, please visit the City’s website on the topic at www.anaheim.net/pfos
The Groundwater Treatment Program is expected to be delivered in multiple phases over four years. 
The first phase will include localized wellhead treatment systems and centralized groundwater treatment systems, associated pipelines, pumps, and other modifications at four groundwater producing well sites within Anaheim.  Future phases will include five additional treatment sites. 
 
In addition, groundwater wells that are under producing or are in a location where treatment plants cannot be constructed will be abandoned and three new groundwater wells will be constructed in optimal locations.  This will allow for improved reliability and efficiency within the water system.

 Once the program is complete, Anaheim will be able to maximize groundwater production and minimize the use of imported water from MWD.



Project Scope:


The Groundwater Treatment Program is expected to be delivered in multiple phases over four years. 
The first phase will include localized wellhead treatment systems and centralized groundwater treatment systems, associated pipelines, pumps, and other modifications at four groundwater producing well sites within Anaheim.  Future phases will include five additional treatment sites.  
In addition, groundwater wells that are underproducing or are in a location where treatment plants cannot be constructed will be abandoned and three new groundwater wells will be constructed in optimal locations.  This will allow for improved reliability and efficiency within the water system.
Once the program is complete, Anaheim will be able to maximize groundwater production and minimize the use of imported water from MWD.

Program Benefits Include:


  • Increased Groundwater Availability
  • Improved Groundwater Quality
  • Improved Operability and Lifecycle Value of Assets
  • Improved Reliability and Efficiency

Anticipated Program Schedule:


  • City Council Award for First Phase – April 2021
  • Program Completion – Late 2024

Contact Information:


If you have questions or comments regarding the Groundwater Treatment Program, please contact the project manager, Divya Agrawalla, PE at 714.765.4964 or e-mail